Tuesday, March 6, 2007

time to count more than pennies

When we started money group, Tuhan had us count pennies, which added to dollars, which eventually became thousands. In a 5 year time, most of us have surpassed $100,000 in networth.

And now it's time to get to the next level, stop thinking about whether or not we are rich or not, because based on the numbers we already are. And even though we haven't won the lottery like this guy, there's no reason that we too couldn't look to amass our own fortune with the money we've already acquired.

And while just getting to $30,000 was a bit of a stuggle this year, it's really a tenth of our net worth. And while the hubby would worry about having $20K in credit card debt, which was alot when we had little in the bank, it's a rather functional drop in the bucket.

The goal now is to try to double our net worth in less than 5 years. We have enough money amassed that it starts accumulating on its own now. And now it's a matter of making it work even better, so we don't have to.

The hubby and I had a chat about this goal. And he would say something like, but we're going to have kids and kids are expensive. I actually want him to not think that way because I don't want him to associate having children with being poor. Sure kids cost money, but children don't run households into debt. Parents run the households. And while growing up I didn't think we had as much as our neighbors, I knew we had alot more than some of our classmates. And as we go along, our incomes and our net worth will increase.

The hubby's been losing weight as well. He still can't grasp his mind around being "thin". He jokes about how he's just "wasting away", but I've also asked him to stop saying this as well. He said he's only joking, but it's the impression that even a "joke" can make. I would rather have him say that he's being healthy. He can't yet imagine himself the weight he was in college as he's been fully ingrained in his "weighted" identity and self. I think part of the reason diets don't work is that people are constantly comparing themselves to when they were "fat". And this mentally pull them back to being "fat" because all they can think about is how they were so "fat". Well, you become what you think you are. I don't want the hubby to "waste away". I want the hubby to be healthy at whatever weight he ends up at. But it's hard to just "be", it's so much easier to go chasing something else because we don't like being anything.

But if we want the life we really want and experience the things we really want, then we have to really get into being who we are.

No comments: