Sunday, January 28, 2007

The Good Ship Prosperity

For over 5 years now I've been part of what was called a seed money group that was run by my teacher, Tuhan Joseph Arriola. The goal fo the Seed Money group was to learn to put away money for long term investment by settings individual and group goals, being accountable to the group to report each month how much you've saved, and receive monthly lectures about finance. The first year was hard since the annual goal for each of us was $3000. Most of us had never seen that many zeros behind a number before. But now in our 5th year most of us have netassets of at least $150,000 if not more. Bit by bit, month by month, year by year. So now our conversations have broadened to be less about money per se but the prosperity that it brings with it.

Thus, Tuhan's new group that he's calling a Prosperity Workshop and learning to project manage our prosperity. I really see this as broadening some of the ideas from money group into something bigger. I was both intrigued and reluctant at first. OK, what's he up to now. Do I have time/money/energy to jump into another group? Having remembered how that first year in money group was. Do I want to be that uncomfortable again? I tried to get my husband to try it with me, but he didn't want to. My sister wasn't game either. Despite growing up as a shy kid, I also possessed a sense of curiosity. I like trying new things, even little new things, at least once. People with evil, maniacle plans to cause trouble, can often find an accomplice in me simply from shear curiosity and also the desire to make an interesting idea come true, just to see where it can go. In my mind I always hear the phrase, "I just want to see." Yeah, well, being born in the year of the Tiger makes me quite the curios cat. And so far that curiosity hasn't killed me yet.

Anyway, I figured what the hell, even with my reservations something inside me told me to go, "just to see." These are people I knew and people I trusted, what's the harm in that? And so on a Saturday morning at 9am I found myself at this ProsperityShop.

The emails Tuhan had been sending out said that he would be our Cruise Director, which always invoked the theme song of the "Love Boat" in my head. He promised goal planning, fun and group projects. Fun? I like fun! Again the cat side of me.

I'm the first to get there as we wait for the other folks who were daring enough to make this maiden voyage. There's K, a friend of S. E who I knew from work and finally C who is on the bowling team and money group with me.

The first thing our Cruise Director announces..."Get in the car, we're going somewhere!"

No comments: